Summertime in San Diego is in full force with the rising temperatures! Staying hydrated and cool are priorities for us San Diegans, and our pets, during this time of the year. There are endless ways for us to stay safe and healthy during these strong sunny days. This includes time at the pool (doggie pools included), running through sprinklers, cooling towels, and drinking lots of water. Here in Rancho Peñasquitos, you can find many local establishments that offer cold and tasty treats for everyone- furry friends included! Acai bowls and smoothies establishments are booming as more and more local shops continue to open up. About a year ago, Rancho Peñasquitos welcomed room for a new small business named Everbowl. Everbowl offers healthy and delicious treats such as smoothies, smoothie bowls, acai bowls, and other small snacks. They have a huge variety of health conscious toppings and superfoods to add on to your meal at no extra cost. Along with the Rancho Peñasquitos shop, there are two other locations in Mira Mesa and Poway that have also opened up recently.
Acai bowls have been all the craze throughout the world, but especially in California. They are thick smoothie bowls made with mashed frozen palm fruit as the base. The mashed fruit gets topped with granola and an assortment of fruit and toppings such as bananas, strawberries, blueberries, kiwis, raspberries, oranges, grapes, coconut, honey, peanut butter, and the list goes on! At Everbowl they have “build your own” or their signature bowls to choose from. They can also be ordered as a smoothie drink. Your dog will likely be interested in whatever you order from Everbowl- so why not make it dog safe for your fur baby to enjoy along with you?! Or you can order your dog their own specialized smoothie. Always make sure to do some research beforehand on what your dog is allowed to eat and what they should be avoiding. I gathered a few common ingredients in smoothies and acai bowls that Everbowl offers and categorized them as safe or unsafe.
Safe ingredients for your dogs:
- Bananas- a healthy energy boost with natural sugars making them a sweet treat for your pup
- Strawberries-packed with antioxidants and high in Vitamin C and fiber
- Blueberries- same as strawberries, they are full of antioxidants. Small but a nutritional powerhouse!
- Raspberries- very sweet treats that are loaded with antioxidants and help with inflammation
- Peanut Butter- all natural peanut butter that doesn’t contain xylitol is safe and healthy for dogs in moderation. A great source of protein and healthy fat that your dog will go crazy for!
- Flaxseed- superfood additive to your dog’s diet as it provides healthy fatty acids and contributes to a healthy, shiny coat
- Oranges- Juicy, yummy fruit for your dog that is perfectly acceptable in moderation because of the high natural sugar content
Ingredients to avoid for your dog:
- Grapes- always avoid grapes; known for being highly toxic to dogs and could cause kidney failure
- Raisins- raisins are dried grapes so they also contain the same toxicity and should never be consumed by dogs
- Cocoa Nibs- the theobromine found in chocolate is toxic to dogs and cocoa nibs are the most potent form
- Almonds- Almonds are not toxic to dogs and can be consumed in small amounts. Too much can cause gastrointestinal problems therefore should be avoided if possible
- Chocolate almond/coconut milk- all natural almond or coconut milk is safe for dogs in moderation, however chocolate flavored nut milks should always be avoided since they contain chocolate
The atmosphere at Everbowl is always welcoming to dogs and their owners. You can tell they are true fellow pet lovers! On the patio you will find chairs and tables for you and your dog to sit and enjoy your meal. They provide water bowls on the patio to ensure your dog has fresh water available, especially on the warm days! At the counter you will find a large glass container filled with big dog treats. Even better-They are complimentary for your dog to enjoy! After a fun trip to your local Everbowl, there are other dog friendly activities and options nearby. Head across the Peñasquitos plaza over to Kahoots, the local pet store, with a wide selection of wholesome treats, toys, and other pet products. Or drive a minute down the street to the PQ dog park to burn off some energy and meet some new dog friends!
You can find many happening spots in Rancho Peñasquitos that offer dog friendly atmospheres and products. Both you and your dog will enjoy all that Everbowl has to offer! Smoothies and Acai bowls are not only a human snack, but can made dog friendly in a variety of ways. Indulging in a nutritious frozen snack on a San Diego summer day will be a perfect outing for you and your fur baby!